Wednesday, August 20, 2008

It's hot & sticky! (97 F & 63% humidity) And in other news - Dad changes his 1st Diaper!

The rest of our stay here in Wuhan is literally waiting for paperwork to be processed. With our official handover of Zoe yesterday, we need to wait to get the official papers so that we can present them to the US government when we return to Guangzhou in order to secure Zoe's travel visa and US passport. I may be wrong here, but I think that Zoe will receive a Chinese passport and US visa to return to the US, and then as soon as she touches US soil in Seattle, she'll magically become a US citizen and her Chinese passport will be worthless paper. I hope we can keep it as a memento for her.

Today we went on the optional Hubei Provincial Museum tour and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was more like a western museum rather than a single un-airconditioned room touting relics consisting of the same stuff vendors have on the street. We saw chimes dating back >2,400 years and sat in the audience as a part of a performance showcasing replicas of the chimes. It was very nice. We also learned that Zoe is very head strong (perhaps stubborn is a better word) and when she doesn't get what she wants, she's not shy about letting us and the rest of the people around us know it! When she's happy, she's an angel, but cross her and watch out! I still think that we'll get things figured out as time passes.

Lola and I also ventured out to retrieve the laundry I dropped off a couple days ago since we're low on fresh clothes. All the dirty ones must have gained a few pounds of sweat since it's so stinkin' hot out here. We made it in one piece, retrieved all the clothes we dropped off and were also able to hit the grocery store across the street.

Upon return to the room, Grandpa invited us out to hit another marketplace. But before doing so, I got my chance to change my daughter's first diaper! She didn't whimper too much as Beth's broken her in. Zoe doesn't like when we change her, but lies down and goes through the routine while crying/whimpering anyway! Avery and I were the only 2 that were game so we went and retrieved a gift for Grandma. It was so cool I had to get one for myself. I'd tell you what it is, but since Grandma is probably reading this, I won't spoil the surprise (I just hope she appreciates scorpions as much as I do!) The journey to and fro was also memorable as was our pit stop at the Dairy Queen!

I'm back in the room now and everyone is once again crashed out and I'm awake to update this thing. I'm also updating the albums, so check there for some updated photos. That's all for now. We put in an order for Pizza Hut. We'll see how that is when it gets in tonight. Until next time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We cannot express how excited we are for the four of you. What an amazing adventure and blessing for you all. Can't wait to see more pictures and to meet Zoe when she's ready for visitors. Her temperament actually sounds quite a bit like Yonah. Safe travels, and you did end up getting that 103" plasma, right?

Love,

Adam, Malena, Geddy and Yonah

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mike and Beth, for taking the time to keep up the blog! It is so interesting to read about Zoe and Avery, your traveling adventures and excursions into China's retail world. (Still can't quite register the fact that China has WalMarts, but I'm working on it). I will wish for smooth sailing during the rest of your trip, and look forward to see you (all four!) soon. Best wishes, Julia R.