Friday, September 28, 2007

Back from D.C.

It's good to be back home... Although I had a fun week in our nation's capital learning to advocate for health-system pharmacy issues, it was hard to be away from the family. [Especially since Avery wasn't feeling too well at the beginning of the week (fortunately he turned around quickly).]

I spent the week (M-Th) serving on the Council for Public Policy for the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) and we wrapped up by paying a visit to the elected officials of our respective states. In Colorado our senators are Wayne Allard & Ken Salazar and the congress person for my district is Tom Tancredo (who you might recognize as one of the lower tier Republican candidates for President). My appointments were all with their legislative aids so I didn't get to press the flesh with any of the representatives themselves, but it was still an interesting experience.

Between appointments I was able to sit in on the Senate Gallery. Fortunately, they had just finished voting on a big issue and were just starting to vote on the SCHIP amendments (expanded health care for low income children) so all of the senators were present. I guess I was a little star struck as I thought it was kinda cool to see Obama, Clinton and others in person. I have to admit that the process itself doesn't look all that organized, if I ran a meeting the way they run their proceedings, we'd never get anything done - perhaps I shouldn't be surprised...

- Beth

No comments: